Friday, April 19, 2013

The Yellow Wallpaper


“The Yellow Wallpaper”, the narrator was a mother whom had sort of post depression after having her child, which was later taken away from her. The family went on a trip and the mother was confined to an upstairs deteriorated room. If that doesn't sound terrible enough, the room was bared up, the wallpaper was ripped, and the room was basically empty with not a thing for her to do. The women’s husband locked her up in this room and told her this was best for you considering she was "sick". He would tell her things to make sense in her mind and convinced her, that he knew what he was talking about just because he was a doctor. As the narrator, the women, is deserted in the room alone, she begins to write a journal of the wallpaper. As days go by she continues to study the wallpaper and starts to hallucinate I think. She talks about seeing a women in the wallpaper. She begins to rip down the wallpaper afterwards, so that she could free the lady that she thought was there? So weird to think that this type of mind set actually happens to people. The last day of summer at the house, she continues to rip the wallpaper and walk around the walls of the room. Her husband had come up to get her, but she refuses to unlock the door for him. When he finally gets the key and unlocks the door, she is found walking around the room touching the wall. She says to her husband, that she is finally free, meaning the women, but I also think that has a double meaning towards herself. I think she saw herself being freed. Her husband dies, but I really think the women had something to do with it, because that would be freeing herself for him too and all the confinement. This mother was insane and at the end of the story, it is believed that she killed her husband. I also interpret The Yellow Wallpaper to have a meaning for women of that time possibly. Why should women be locked up and why should men have all the power and say so? I mean who is he to tell her what to do with HER life? She was pretty much powerless in the story which made me sad and want to fight for her. It also shows the empowerment of the husband, he made all the decisions for her. I guess the message of the story was to show the man's empowerment in a women's life and what total control is. If that was me, I would divorced him, said hell no being confined to a room, and got myself FAR FAR away from there.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I would not have stayed in a confined room for the rest of the summer either, it was also probably hot in there and she had to stay no matter the conditions. I feel bad for her also.

    ReplyDelete