Saturday, April 6, 2013

Coping with Cancer


      I figured I'd blog about dealing with someone with cancer. My grandfather has prostate cancer. This is the second time he's been diagnosed with it. The first time he got rid of all the cancer cells in his body and they controlled the spreading. This time though he wasn't so lucky, it has spread up his spine and deteriorated most of his bones. It's always hard to see a loved one going through something so heart breaking and not being able to stop or do something about it. I find it especially hard because my grandfather has not only taken the grandfather role throughout my life but the father role as well. I'm extremely close to him. I visit and take care of him almost every day. But although I don't know what it's like to have cancer I figured I could talk about coping with someone who has it. Seeing that my grandfather is 85 and still upbeat and happy makes me see life in a whole new perspective. He doesn't let the chemo, the pain, the bad days, or anything get to him. I believe that that's a really good thing. The first time he got cancer he tried to be positive but you could tell his bad days and when he just wanted to give up. Now being his second, I can never tell when he's sad. He's almost always happy. Which shows me that I don't need to be sad or feel bad for him. I know you think you should bring it up or talk about it all the time... but you really don't have too. I don't like to remind him about the bad so it's easier to try to make light of the heavy situation. He jokes and smiles about it so I figure I should as well. "Oh Lauren we have to go to that crummy life sucking place today, but atleast I know you're taking me to all you can eat Shoney's buffet afterwards right?" Is usually what I hear when I'm taking him for his shot at the chemo place. Knowing he's ready to get it over with and more excited for the "all you can eat breakfast buffet" makes it all better. Most people when they have a friend, or loved one with cancer like to introduce them as "Charlie, he has cancer" Like what? It's just something that people do and I've always found it really odd ha! It's like when you're told someone has cancer then you instantly think of someone that's had cancer and it comes out like, "Oh yeah my cat had cancer" No just stop.. no one wants to hear a sad cancer story especially the person who has cancer. So I guess all in all, is to never take the carefree life you live for granted and to always stay positive and upbeat. Cancer sucks but there's always ways to make the person who has it have bright happy days! 

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother had cancer. She passed almost a year ago on May the 12th. I wish cancer had a cure. We didn't discover she had cancer until she passed. I've seen plenty of my family members survive cancer and they were really care free and lived life t the fullest. Most people that aren't even suffering from a disease complain on a regular about how bad their life is when it could honestly be worse then it is. People shouldn't take life for granted and live each day like it's their last.

    ReplyDelete