Sunday, February 3, 2013

Thoughts on Hills Like White Elephants.

Thoughts on Hills Like White Elephants

      I thought the story really left you hanging. In the story when I read it did seem like the man was having an affair with the mistress he was at the train station with. The women was a lot younger which they told you in the story. In our class we concluded that she was taking the train to find a doctor for an abortion. I have no idea how we concluded that, my thoughts is she was just crazy and having some sort of operation for that. You can tell throughout the story that she is head over heels for the man but completely brain-washed. She says, "And if I do it you'll be happy and things will be like they were and you'll love me?" It seems like she's only having this "operation" to please the one she loves. I think that's absolutely crazy, I would never set my happiness aside for a man who clearly just wanted to have the abortion to cover up the evidence of his mistress. If the story had an ending of what did happen, I believe the man would've left her and back to his wife or other family that he had. It's completely clear he doesn't really love this girl, he just loves to brainwash her.

3 comments:

  1. I agree it left you hanging, but i wouldnt say jig was brain washed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Jig was brain washed because at the end of the day she made the decision to get the abortion or not. I think if the author told us she got an abortion then it's a possibility she was brain washed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete