Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Cast Of Amontillado

http://sweenglish.blogspot.com/

The Cast of Amontillado is about a man named Montresor who wishes to seek revenge on a man name Fortunato. He claims that Fortunato had insulted him. When I read, I guess I skimmed too quickly, and didn't really get or catch why he was insulted. But when we discussed in class we found out that he was insulted because he said hes just a mason, which is meaning a free mason, which began as a secret society composed of wealthy elites who were against two things: royalty and the papacy, and I think its clear that Montresor is not part of the masons so that is why he becomes so insulted by it. Montresor then seeks revenge on Fortunato by using his flaws against him. Which meaning, Fortunato likes to drink heavily so he uses that against him. Fortunato prides himself on his taste for "fine wines" so Montresor says he has one of the best bottles of wine.. A cast of Amontillado. Fortunato is already drunk at this point and says hes going to get another character named Luchesri, which is said to be another expert in fine wine and see if it really is Amontillado. Montresor knows what his plan is and gives him more wine on the way into the catacombs. By Fortunato letting his guard down and getting drunk hes lead to his doom. Then it is not very difficult for Montresor to shackle him up and build the brick wall up around him killing Fortunato. I think the story was dark and wicked. Plus I would never kill someone over something as little as calling me a "mason" but hey I guess that's how it was back in the day.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I do not think I could ever get mad enough to actually kill someone like that. I mean sometimes people make me so mad that I just want to smack some sense into them, but that is a little different.

    ReplyDelete